Hi friends! Holy moly, it’s been radio silence over here for a bit. Does anyone else feel like life kind of drags you along sometimes? Like, sometimes you’re really on top of things and ahead of the game and at other times you’re just treading water and trying to survive. Good news is, I feel like I can see the light at the end of the freaking tunnel! Woo!
A while back, I participated in a 10×10 challenge on Instagram hosted by ethical clothing brand Elizabeth Suzann, Caroline from Un-Fancy, and Lee from Style Bee. If you haven’t heard of the 10×10 challenge before, basically what you do is take ten items from your closet and mix and match to create ten different outfits to wear over ten days. The goal is to remix pieces you already have to discover new ways to wear them, and to maybe realize you already have everything you need! I already wear a pretty basic wardrobe, but I was excited to see if I could live on ten items for ten days. The “rules” of the challenge weren’t hard and fast. You can include shoes and accessories in your ten items if you choose, or you can swap shoes and accessories freely. I chose to stick to ten clothing items and used 2-3 pairs of shoes. I wear basically the same jewelry everyday anyway, so I only used 2 different necklaces the whole time.
Here are some things I learned:
- I love neutrals. It’s so easy to get dressed when basically everything in my closet can mix and match with everything else.
- I really need less clothing than I think. I repeated outfits or pieces from outfits for days in a row and guess what? No one cared or noticed and I felt comfortable and put together. Fewer choices also made the process of getting dressed really easy and something I barely had to think about.
- I follow two basic formulas for dressing: either a jacket or cardigan layered over a top or a tank layered under a loose fitting knit top/sweater.
- I really, really love my Girlfriend Collective leggings. They’re so comfy, they hold up in the wash and don’t stretch out, and really slim things out.
- Because I could only chose 10 items, the challenge really showed me what I really LIKED in my closet. I’ve paired things down a ton over the last year, but I realized I am still holding on to pieces that just don’t speak to my personal style anymore and pieces that I truly never wear.
I’ll be honest; a few days I didn’t even get dressed, so I’ve only got 7 days worth of outfits to show you all. Here were my challenge looks (which I took myself with my iPhone and my Apple Watch and it was difficult, ha!):
Have you ever done a 10×10 challenge? It’s a great way to dip your toes in trying a capsule wardrobe without getting rid of all of your stuff. Let me know what you think!